Friday, August 19, 2011

"I want to go fishing."

It started innocently enough on the way to dropping off Lucas to his first (half) day of kindergarten.

"I want to go fishing."

Pause.

"Because I want to try raw fish."

Pause.

"It's called sushi."

I like to expose the kids to things outside of their ever-shrinking-as-they-age comfort zones, and sushi had been on my list. Probably wouldn't have started with Junior #2 on this one (#3 is actually the braver soul - you should see him tear up some Pad Thai swimming in Sriracha), but he brought it up and I decided to commit a crime of opportunity.

I picked him up from his half day, and we headed straight to Crazy Sushi and ordered, well, pretty much everything. I'm not that familiar with sushi (I started with it a few years ago but don't eat it very often), but I knew that we wanted some raw stuff AND some backups for when he wouldn't eat it. So I got a St. Louis roll (tuna, avocado, takuan, green onion), some mixed raw stuff (and some of the cold shrimps), and some tempura. Yes, I spent way too much money, but I wanted to make sure he left having eaten something that he really liked. And since I refuse to ever order anything that I won't eat, I knew nothing would go to waste.

To my boy's credit, he tried everything. His favorite things were the miso soup, the tempura shrimp, and the hamachi (yellow tail) and the only thing he didn't like was the roll and the ginger salad dressing. Everything else fell somewhere in between those categories. Which I'm actually pretty thrilled with.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="The St. Louis roll did not go over well."][/caption]

 

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="He actually asked if he could take the bowl home."][/caption]



[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="Because only barbarians eat the rice at the same time as the sushi."][/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment