Friday, July 8, 2011

Screwing with InBev

Normally I'm a big proponent of local merchants, but when InBev bought Anheuser-Busch, I gave up pretty much any affinity I had for that St. Louis-based family of products. This was surprisingly easy since I can't stand Bud Light or Budweiser (they both give me a headache). I'll still take down an American Ale, Natural Light or Busch heavy to be polite, but it's pretty tough to find those around town (even, paradoxically, in Busch Stadium).

That said, I am a cheap mother, and I'm a big fan of rebates on stuff I would normally buy anyway. I was stalking the beer aisle at my local grocer one day and snagged a rebate form even though it said Bud Light, because in Missouri (along with several other states), the rebator can't require you to actually buy the beer. The result? Bud Light was offering to mail me a check for $7 for spending $14 on things like ice, snacks, meat, etc.

My wife was next to head out, so I asked her to get some of that "stuff" (the ice, snacks, meat, etc.). Much to my delight, she bought more than enough "stuff" and also came home with some beer. I'm thrilled to report that I just sent Bud Light a request to send me $7 even though the only beer I bought was Coors Light and Samuel Adams.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="271" caption="Take that, InBev."][/caption]

It's times like this when I really, really love my wife. And whatever Missouri legislator made this possible.

1 comment:

  1. I love using rebates like that! I've been known to use them when all you have to buy is fresh produce. Alright then..because I already have enough fresh produce in my cart. Score one for the consumer.

    ReplyDelete