Friday, December 14, 2012

Awful

We'll be praying tonight for the families of the Connecticut victims.

I had obviously been horrified by the news as it trickled in all day. I thought about my kids. I thought about their little friends. It was a long day, and I was very happy to pick them all up safely after school, and we quickly got lost in discussions about their days and what we had planned for the weekend. They still haven't been talked to at all about today's tragic events.

On the way home we talked about dinner. I offered eggs, and my 6 year old asked for bacon. I said that we didn't have any at home, and he asked if we had the ingredients at home. We then had a very brief discussion about the food chain, including slaughterhouses, from which I tried to quickly change the subject.

I thought that I had done pretty well, when, a minute later, he thoughtfully said " I wouldn't want to know if I was gonna die. I'd rather be surprised and not have to think about before it happened." He was talking about the pigs. I turned up the radio and bawled anyway.

Tonight we all just need to pray to whomever we each are comfortable.

And tomorrow we need to start preventing the next time.

1 comment: